Saturday Teacher Seminars
Deepen your constitutional knowledge and enhance your classroom instruction strategies for teaching the history of and modern debates about the U.S. Constitution with Saturday Teacher Seminars at the National Constitution Center. During the five-hour program, teachers tour the museum’s exhibitions, participate in pedagogical sessions, and practice civil dialogue techniques to take back to the classroom. There is no cost to attend the Seminars and they are open to all classroom teachers currently working with grades 5, 8, 10, or 11.
During each Saturday Teacher Seminar, attendees will:
- Join colleagues in an opening session that introduces the Center’s framework for teaching constitutional literacy
- Discover historical content through tours of the Center’s exhibitions
- Participate in modeled classroom activities using the Center’s online resources, including the Interactive Constitution
- Receive lesson plans and other classroom-ready educational materials
- Develop and practice skills necessary to facilitate civil dialogue for all learners
- Share ideas and insights with fellow teachers at the closing session
- Enjoy coffee and networking during morning registration
- Get admission to explore the museum after the Seminar
- Have access to discounted, $10 parking in the Center’s garage
Attendees can report four hours of professional development and Act 48 credit will be submitted for Pennsylvania teachers. Philadelphia teachers have the opportunity for continued, personalized professional development workshops and field trips to the National Constitution Center.
Teachers are welcome to attend one or all of the upcoming Saturday Seminars. Future dates and topics include:
|Saturday, September 7, 2019||Get Ready for Constitution Day|
|Saturday, October 12, 2019||Voting Rights|
|Saturday, January 11, 2020||Civil War and Reconstruction|
|Saturday, February 8, 2020||The Presidency|
|Saturday, March 7, 2020||The Second Amendment|
|Saturday, April 18, 2020||Federalism|
|Saturday, May 2, 2020||To be announced|
There is no cost to attend a Saturday Seminar, but educators will need to successfully register online here. All future dates will open for registration two months prior to the Saturday Seminar. For questions or more information, contact [email protected].
This series is part of the Engaging Philadelphia Schools Initiative, supported by the CHG Charitable Trust, as recommended by Carole Haas Gravagno.