June 19, 2019
How do judges manage the personal challenges that their role often requires them to face, including unconscious bias, chronic stress, exposure to emotionally-charged circumstances, and public pressure? Current and former judges join in candid conversations about how they have managed these challenges and more.
The first panel, On the Bench, features:
- Judge Charles R. Breyer of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- Justice Eva Guzman of the Supreme Court of Texas
- Moderator: Michael Lewis, author of The Fifth Risk, The Big Short, The Blind Side, and Moneyball
The second panel, After the Bench, features:
- Jeremy Fogel, Executive Director of the Berkeley Judicial Institute and former U.S. District judge for the Northern District of California
- Carlos Moreno, former Associtate Justice of the California Supreme Court
- Deanell Reece Tacha, former Chief Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit and former Dean of Pepperdine Law School
- Moderator: Jeffrey Rosen, president and CEO of the National Constitution Center
This program was presented in partnership with the Berkeley Judicial Institute at Berkeley Law School.