Traveling America’s Town Hall Programs
The Human Side of Judging
Wednesday, June 19, 2019 • 6 - 7:30 p.m. PT
Berkeley Law School, 225 Bancroft Way, Berkeley, CA
How do judges manage the personal challenges that their role often requires them to face, including unconscious bias, chronic stress, exposure to emotionally-charged circumstances, and public pressure? Current and former judges join in candid conversations about how they have managed these challenges and more.
The first panel, On the Bench, features:
- Judge Charles R. Breyer of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- Justice Eva Guzman of the Supreme Court of Texas
- Moderator: Michael Lewis, author of The Fifth Risk, The Big Short, The Blind Side, and Moneyball
The second panel, After the Bench, features:
- Jeremy Fogel, Executive Director of the Berkeley Judicial Institute and former U.S. District judge for the Northern District of California
- Carlos Moreno, former Associtate Justice of the California Supreme Court
- Deanell Reece Tacha, former Chief Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit and former Dean of Pepperdine Law School
- Moderator: Jeffrey Rosen, president and CEO of the National Constitution Center
This program is presented in partnership with the Berkeley Judicial Institute at Berkeley Law School.