19th Amendment: Past, Present, and Future
This August marks the 100th anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment, granting women the right to vote. It’s a powerful and important centenary, though ratification was an incomplete victory. Black women were still largely disenfranchised until the passage of the Voting Rights Act nearly 45 years later on August 6, 1965. Join All In Together in partnership with The 19th, the George and Barbara Bush Foundation, the LBJ Presidential Library, the National Archives, the National Constitution Center, and the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library for 19th Amendment: Past, Present, and Future.
This online program will begin with a panel of prominent historians, Professors Martha S. Jones and Lisa Tetrault, examining the history of the women’s suffrage movement. It will be followed by discussions with two iconic trailblazers who will address the fight for gender rights throughout our history and the challenges women face today: a keynote conversation with Speaker Nancy Pelosi followed by a separate discussion with Secretary Condoleezza Rice. A final panel will feature activists Brittany Packnett Cunningham and Abby Wambach, who will explore the opportunities and work that lie ahead for the next generation of women.
This program is as part of the National Constitution Center’s yearlong initiative, Women and the Constitution, celebrating the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment.
- Brittany Packnett Cunningham, Activist, Educator, Writer, Leader
- David S. Ferriero, Archivist of the United States
- Martha S. Jones, Professor of History, Johns Hopkins University
- Nancy Pelosi, Speaker, U.S. House of Representatives
- Condoleezza Rice, Former United States Secretary of State
- Lisa Tetrault, Professor of History, Carnegie Mellon University
- Debra Steidel Wall, Deputy Archivist of the United States
- Abby Wambach, Olympic Gold Medal Soccer Player
- Lauren Leader, Co-Founder & CEO, All In Together
- Dana Perino, Former White House Press Secretary; Anchor and Co-Host, FOX News Channel's 'The Daily Briefing' and 'The Five'
- Jeffrey Rosen, President and CEO, National Constitution Center
- Mark Updegrove, President and CEO, LBJ Foundation
Subscribe to Live at the National Constitution Center
You can also listen to this program and more as a podcast! Live at the National Constitution Center features live constitutional conversations and debates featuring leading historians, journalists, scholars, and public officials hosted at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia and across America. Subscribe today on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or your favorite podcast app. Check out the Media Library for Live at the National Constitution Center podcast episodes.