Check back for more details about the Clerks at 100 celebration, including guest speaker announcements.
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 4, 2019: ACADEMIC SYMPOSIUM
The George Washington Law School, Jacob Burns Moot Courtroom
20th & H Streets, Washington, D.C.
12 - 1 p.m. Refreshments & Light Fare | 1 - 4 p.m. Symposium
Join The George Washington Law Review for a public symposium focusing on the institution of Supreme Court clerkships. Separate registration required.
1 p.m.: Clerkship Experiences
- John Elwood, Partner and Head of the Appellate and Supreme Court Practice, Arnold & Porter (Justice Kennedy)
- Justice Leondra Kruger, Associate Justice, California Supreme Court (Justice Stevens)
- Jane E. Nitze, Member of the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board (Justices Gorsuch and Sotomayor)
- Rory Little, Visiting Professor of Law, Yale Law School; Professor of Law, UC Hastings College of the Law (Justices Brennan, Burger, Powell, Stevens, and Stewart)
2 p.m.: Life After Clerking
- The Honorable Cheryl Ann Krause, Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (Justice Kennedy)
- Julius Genachowski, Managing Director, The Carlyle Group (Justices Brennan and Souter)
- Joshua Matz, Counsel, Kaplan Heckler & Fink (Justice Kennedy)
- Gretchen Rubin, Author and Host, Happier podcast (Justice O’Connor)
3 p.m.: Clerkships and the Constitution
- The Honorable Jeffrey Sutton, Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit (Justice Scalia)
- The Honorable Diane Wood, Chief Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (Justice Blackmun)
We invite former Supreme Court law clerks to submit essays that will be published in a special issue of the The George Washington Law Review's online companion, Arguendo. Former clerks interested may send essay proposals to the Law Review's Senior Online Editor Taylor Dowd at [email protected] by September 16. In the proposal, please include an approximate expected length of the essay. Essays will need to be submitted by November 1.
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 5, 2019: CELEBRATION
National Portrait Gallery
5 p.m. Reception | 6:30 p.m. Dinner and Program
Featuring remarks by
Clare Cushman, Supreme Court Historical Society
Isaac Lidsky, clerk to Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sandra Day O’Connor
A conversation with special guests to be announced.
For questions, please contact [email protected] or 202-459-0843.