“This is much more effective than the conventional ‘lecture hall’ format of most trainings.” – Philadelphia Police Officer Recruit
“Maybe this can be a start to a more civically engaged community where the police understand the community better, and the community understands the police better.” – Philadelphia Police Officer Recruit
The program is a four-hour, immersive experience. Participants will:
• Learn about the historical roots of current public attitudes toward police legitimacy through an introductory video by Commissioner Ramsey;
• Analyze and discuss critical concepts like “justice” and “fairness” in facilitated conversations with fellow recruits, NCC staff and community members;
• Explore the history and ideas behind the nation’s founding documents and the evolution of policing in the United States through an interactive tour of the museum’s exhibits;
• Examine the relationship between law enforcement and individual civil rights through an in-gallery presentation on influential Supreme Court decisions and key moments in the Civil Rights Movement;
• Receive a bound, pocket-sized copy of the United States Constitution;
• Enjoy light, Philadelphia-style refreshments.
BOOKING A GROUP
• Program run-time is four hours
• Cost is $25 per recruit (no charge for trainers)
Sample Program Schedule:
8:00 a.m. Program introductions
8:30 a.m. Foundations of America: Focus on the Bill of Rights Tour
9:30 a.m. Justice and Fairness Dialogue
10:00 a.m. Supreme Court Case Study Review
10:45 a.m. Conversation with the Community
11:30 a.m. Freedom Rising theatrical presentation
12:00 p.m. Program ends
Please note that Policing in a More Perfect Union is geared specifically toward new police officer recruits, but can be adapted to groups of in-service officers, training staff or command groups. Times and dates are determined by your group’s specific needs. To discuss options for your group, please complete and submit the form below. You will be contacted by Kerry Sautner, Vice President of Visitor Experience and Education, at 215-409-6730 or email@example.com.
Who is the contact person for your group?
Contact phone number