Civics and Social Entrepreneurs
March 26, 2011, 1:45 – 3:45 p.m.
Session 5: Civic and Social Entrepreneurs
- David Eisner, President & CEO, National Constitution Center (moderator)
- W. Wilson Goode, Sr., National Director, Amachi Program
- Lauren Hughes, Community Relations Coordinator, WHYY
- Caren Izzo, teacher, Haddonfield Middle School
- David Karpf, Assistant Professor, Rutgers University School of Communication and Information; Faculty Associate, Eagleton Institute of Politics
- Lauren Schwarze, Project Manager, Nine Network of Public Media
Guiding Questions for Discussion
- Is incivility a result of society avoiding confronting important issues?
- What do online conversations, such as ones in comment sections of an article, inform us about the role of civility in discourse?
- Due to the nature of incivility surrounding public policy, should policymaking be done behind closed doors? Do you agree with the participant’s argument that democracy is more about process than outcome?